TAX SEASON GUIDANCE – SUBMITTING YOUR TAX DOCUMENTS & MORE…
The deadline to submit all of your tax documents to avoid an extension is March 15th.
How to Make the 2024 Tax Filing Season Easier and Get Your Tax Refund Faster
- Gather your usual tax documents including W-2’s, 1099’s, broker statements, etc. A “Tax Season Checklist” was mailed out in December with our year-end newsletter. Please use this list, in conjunction with your prior year tax return, to determine what documents need to be submitted to complete your tax return. Please also submit this checklist with your tax documents. Documents submitted electronically must be in PDF format. JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc. will no longer be accepted. There are free PDF converter apps you can download on your android or iPhone.
- Provide direct deposit information so that your tax refund arrives in short order, usually within 21 days. It’s faster AND safer.
- If you made 2023 estimated tax payments provide the amounts and dates of the payment with your paperwork. You can log into your on-line IRS account to verify the payments on record. If you do not have an IRS account, see #6, below.
- Provide proof of health insurance; Form 1095-A, B or 1099-HC.
- Provide proof your dependents live with you to claim education credits, child tax credit, dependent care credit and head of household status. Refer to the box insert on page 2.
- Consider creating an on-line account at IRS.gov. Taxpayers can securely view various tax information including, Advanced Child Tax Payments and Economic Impact Payments. You can also verify whether your federal tax withholding on your paystub is sufficient. To open an account, go to: www.irs.gov/individuals.
- Sign the APL Engagement Letter outlining our services and submit the signed and dated copy with your tax paperwork. We will not prepare your tax return without a signed engagement letter. You will receive your engagement letter in the mail in late December.
How to Submit Your Tax Documents
For our clients that prefer the more traditional methods please mail your paperwork (Priority Mail or certified mail preferred) or drop it off at the office Monday – Thursday 9-5pm. For after hours drop off please use the locked mailbox by the front door.
We strongly encourage all clients to submit tax paperwork electronically. We have a number of ways for you to safely and securely upload your tax documents:
This is a user-friendly way to quickly upload your tax forms. Please note: Documents submitted electronically must be in PDF format. JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc. will no longer be accepted. There are free PDF converter apps you can download on your android or iPhone.
Click here to securely upload your tax documents. This secure link is also provided in the signature block of our emails.
When you click on the link provided you will be asked to enter your email address and name. Please note, the security Captcha is CASE SENSITIVE.
This is an on-line, personalized tax check-list and organizer that allows you to securely and conveniently update your personal data, check for relevant information that may be applicable to your situation, and review your prior-year information to ensure you have accounted for all your tax documents. We will send an invite to My1040Data to many of our clients in early January, 2024. If you do NOT receive one and would like to utilize this tool, please send a request to participate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delivery of your Tax Return
You will have the choice to receive your completed tax return either electronically or via hardcopy mailed Priority Mail to your home. Mailed tax returns will be charged a postage fee of $12.00 per return.